For those of you needing help formulating a thesis for your essay, here are some suggestions for topics:
1.Newton had famously insisted that "hypotheses non fingo [I do not feign hypotheses]”. Explain what he meant by this, by reference to Descartes’s and Bacon’s methodologies.
2.Evaluate Chalmer’s critique of Popper’s methodology of falsificationism.
3.Evaluate Popper’s critique of induction.
4.Hacking suggests that Kuhn was unwise to revise his account of the pre-paradigm stage of science. Was he? Evaluate Kuhn’s account of how normal science emerges.
5.As several critics have observed, Kuhn used the word ‘paradigm’ in various differing senses. Evaluate the significance of this for his account of science.
6.Does Kuhn’s account of science make theory choice irrational? Develop and defend your own view on this question.
7.Should Kuhn’s and Feyerabend’s idea of incommensurability be completely rejected, or are there defensible aspects to their claims? Develop and defend your own view on this question.
8.Can Kuhn account for scientific progress? Develop and defend your own view on this question.
9.Give your own evaluation of Feyerabend’s claim that “Science is not one thing, it is many.”
10.What is the role of observation in theory testing?
11.Lakatos replaces Kuhn’s philosophy of shifts between paradigms with his methodology of scientific research programmes. Does he thereby successfully resolve difficulties with Kuhn’s account of science? Give reasons for your answer.
Highly recommended: the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (SEP) articles on
The Incommensurability of Scientific Theories
Science and Pseudo-Science
Theory and Observation in Science
Please do a literature search of your own on whatever topic you choose.
A List Of Philosophy Of Science Term Paper Topics To Consider
The study of the Philosophy of science is a division of the field of philosophy. This challenging field focuses on the implications, many methods, and various foundations of all sciences. It asks the questions what is science and what is the goal or goals of science? There will be essays assigned in this tough class. Because the instructor will want to test your foundation for this class, you will probably end up selecting your own composition topics. Use our innovative and fresh list of ideas for this piece.
Term Paper Topics to Consider
- Evolution, creation, or a comparison and contrast of evolution and creation. You could also compose a persuasive essay on either of the topics.
- Religion and science, such as when the two are in agreement or when the two are in stark contrast.
- Feminism and/or the behavioral differences in gender. Are the predisposed or taught? This would be a good persuasive paper.
- Life After Death-does it exist or not? This topic also lends itself to a persuasive style composition.
- The strange but true components in quantum logic. You could write this in a descriptive style.
- Intelligence and geographical and economical variables.
- The many and varied social studies of the world of science. You will want to narrow down the topic, so that it is not too broad.
- Atheism and its science of philosophy. Or an exploration into the deceptions in religious claims.
- Intelligence design and the test tube baby. This could be a persuasive or a descriptive type essay.
- An explanatory paper on the string theory and how it is bound by the lack of testing predictions.
- A comparison and contrast on realism and antirealism.
- A descriptive paper on Bell’s Theorem or on Bell himself.
- Any paper focusing on the people who have played a role in the field, such as Bell, Hawking, Mlodinow, Shimony, or Darwin. Or you could compare and contrast two of the leaders in the industry.
Even if you do not use one of our fresh topics, maybe one of them will inspire you to select a similar title. This is an upper level class, and these papers will be challenging. If at any point in your essay, your feel over your head or lost, consider employing a tutor, hiring a writing company, or heading to the campus writing lab for assistance.