As with every year, I kept an ongoing list for my possible words in 2017. I tend to start this list around February because sometimes ideas come to me early in the year and I want to track them for different reasons. Throughout the year, different words feel like winners. They feel really strong. Here’s a peek at this year’s list:
The ones with the stars were ones I kept coming back to a few times. I have a tough time choosing words for several reasons.
- I don’t want to pick a word for something I wish I were. Like “easy.” I feel that when I pick a word that’s likely to make me feel intimidated, I spend most of the year feeling bad about letting myself down. The word should push/encourage me but it shouldn’t be aspirational. It should be inspirational.
- I loved my 2015 word (brave) so much that I feel I am always trying to find a word that will be as magical as brave was for me. I am learning that I will just have to carry brave around with me forever and not worry about having such a powerful word each time.
- Some words are more action oriented (like brave, adventure, nourish) and some are more introspective (like easy, equable, magic) and what I want is a combination of both.
As it seems to be my trend lately, I picked my word many many months before the year started. Even though I went back and forth many times and I am still finding myself wavering at times, I’ve settled on SHINE for 2017.
This word is coming from a story I mentioned a while back. Back when I was training to be a life coach, in one of my classes, we did a visualization exercise called The Captain. During my exercise, I was sitting in the woods (peaceful, quiet woods) when this little girl (who looked like me) came over to me and gave me a box. Inside the box was light. When I opened it, it shone everywhere, it filled the forest up. She said it was my light and that she was a reminder to let my light shine and that I was here to also be the reflection for others’ light so I can show them how their light is shining, too.
I know it sounds corny. But this is what happened when I did the exercise and I haven’t stopped thinking about it even though it was quite a few years ago, now. So when I was thinking about my word, I decided this was my year to shine (and help others shine).
I was tempted to choose light for my word this year because it feels easier. And it has so much room for multiple meanings. Shine sounds selfish and like being the center of attention. I don’t like either of those things. But I reminded myself that the girl told me to shine. So I decided to stick with it and understand this word a bit better. Here’s what shine means to me:
- Heal: To shine means I will focus on healing the parts of me that feel broken. To see myself as whole and enough. It means I am going to work on remembering that I have this big source of light inside me and that part of me overshadows everything else. Light comes through the cracks and it takes over the dark. I will embrace me, all of me, and let my true self shine.
- Open: To shine means to be open and to receive and give generously. There’s no limit to my light. I will not run out. I can feel others with mine and also allow myself to bask in theirs because it’s an unlimited resource. I am open.
- Bold: To shine means to be brave. To show up. To be bold. There’s no more hiding in the shadows. No siting back. It’s being there. Being visible. Radiating.
- Reflect: A big part of shine for me is reflecting other people’s light back on to them. Reminding everyone of how they have their own amazing light inside and encouraging them to shine, too. Imagine if we all chose to shine, how amazing would it be?
So there we go. Here’s to a year of radiance. Illumination. A year full of shimmer. Sparkle. Glow.
Here’s to 2017: my year to SHINE.
Thank you guys for the job well done and showing how perfection looks like every time. I got an A on my essay on the American History. My writer was very familiar with different formatting and citation styles. All the resources used were academic in nature, and my teacher was really impressed, so was I.
Cooperation with 99papers.com was even more productive than I’ve expected. Professionalism and excellent communication skills of their writers guarantee the desired result on the time scheduled. Expert assistance on countless disciplines, whether it is book-review for the literature class, chemistry experiments or market analysis. Keep up that brilliant work!
Very analytical and detailed work. My writer delivered as promise, interpreting the latest data tabulation. I got the highest rates on all the economics posts you wrote for me. I could not have passed my course without your help. Kudos! Legitimate and very accommodating with deadlines.
Best customer support service ever! Thank you for the excellent service from ordering to receiving my perfect capstone project. Please say my regards to the writer who helped me with my assignment. He did an extensive job of improving my employment portfolio.
Recently, needed assistance with writing a research paper for my medical project within 5 days, and it’s not the first time when you guys covered my back. Received completed work prior the deadline to go through it; only some minor revisions were needed. It was revised ASAP and your professional team totally ace it. Refer them in a heartbeat!
My brother and I have been using your services throughout this semester and haven't been let down. Last time for my informative paper, your writer created a solid hypothesis and profound research using the most redible journals and reliable peer-review literature. Recommend you to take advantage of their exceptional service too!